The Pros and Cons of Using Menstrual Cups
There are lots of menstrual products on the marketplace for individuals to choose from when dealing with their aunty flow. One product that has actually been around for rather a long time however has actually become more popular in recent years is the menstrual cup.
The menstrual cup is a small size silicone cup that is placed into the vaginal area to gather blood and prevent it from dripping out throughout a woman's menstrual cycle. When the cup is full, it can be removed and emptied into a toilet before being cleaned and reinserted.
Menstrual cups are normally made out of silicone, with some being made from rubber. Individuals with latex allergies should pick silicone versions.
When choosing whether this item is ideal for you, take a look at this list of menstrual cup benefits and drawbacks.
Pros of the Menstrual Cup
- Eco and Budget-Friendly: Switching to the cup will reduce the amount of garbage you produce throughout your menstrual period since you will not be tossing out pads and tampons. Reducing landfill waste is certainly helpful for the planet, making the menstrual cup an environment-friendly choice. Likewise, because you do not require to replace the menstrual cup each month, it is also affordable. If you take care of them effectively, some cups can be utilized for many years. A menstrual cup might be a slightly larger financial investment at first, specifically higher quality variations. However, any extra expense is more than offseted after a couple of cycles. There are likewise less expensive reusable menstrual cups available that are similar in price to a box of tampons.
Less Shopping for Menstrual Products: If you're utilizing non reusable menstrual products like tampons or pads, you need to keep buying them for each period.
Not just is this more pricey than utilizing a menstrual cup, however numerous trips to the drug shop can likewise be an inconvenience. As long as you preserve your menstrual cup effectively, you will constantly have it on hand without requiring to go to the store for supplies. Simply track when your period is due and have it all set to go before that date to be prepared. If you are worried about starting your period when you're away from home, a case can be utilized to keep it in a bag or book bag around the time you expect it to start.
Assists With Maintaining Healthy Vaginal pH: Tampons are used to soak up blood, however they likewise absorb any other vaginal fluid present. This may result in a disruption in your vaginal pH or the healthy germs that must exist. The menstrual cup does not soak up anything, so this problem is avoided.
- Less Odor: If you've used tampons or pads in the past, you might have discovered they can develop an odor as they soak up more blood. The smell becomes more noticeable when it is exposed to air, which is specifically a problem with menstrual pads. With the cup, the blood is included by a non-porous barrier, so it is not exposed to air. For that reason, odor is less common when utilizing a menstrual cup.
- Longer Wearability: In addition to the general durability of a menstrual cup, you can also normally go longer between journeys to the restroom to deal with your period. The menstrual cup is typically able to hold more blood than a pad or tampon can take in, which means it needs to be emptied less typically than other items require to be changed.
Likewise, menstrual cups are made of body-safe products that do not consist of the chemicals some single-use products do.
The danger of an unusual condition known as harmful shock syndrome (TSS) that is connected with tampon usage is eliminated when using a menstrual cup.
Cons of the Menstrual Cup
- Finding Out to Properly Insert It Takes Practice: The most common problem about the menstrual cup is that it is challenging to insert in the beginning. Due to the fact that there is a learning curve, some women get disappointed and quit after numerous attempts. This is particularly real for girls who have just started their menstrual cycles and women who have actually not had intercourse. Nevertheless, with practice, many women can get the hang of appropriate insertion. It ought to be kept in mind that individuals with IUDs may wish to consult their physician about utilizing the menstrual cup because it may pull on the IUD's strings and dislodge it.
- Fit Issues: The menstrual cup is available in a range of sizes, with standards and suggestions for what size may be proper for particular females.
However, if you have a condition like a dropped uterus or serious fibroids, fit may be an issue.
- More Mess: A couple of menstrual cup benefits and drawbacks relate to the method it collects blood instead of absorbing it. This is a pro for reusability and length of time between modifications. Nevertheless, for some women, handling the menstrual blood is a turn-off. If you're used to simply discarding menstrual pads and tampons, it might take some getting utilized to the menstrual cup. With practice, numerous ladies will master removal with very little mess.
Another con associated to mess is the requirement to rinse or clean the cup prior to reinsertion. Some feel uncomfortable doing this in the sink, specifically in public restrooms. To handle this, some ladies bring a little squirt or spray bottle of water while using the cup, or bring wipes.
- Issues with Cup Removal: Removing the menstrual cup can have as much of a learning curve as inserting. And eliminating it improperly can trigger a lot more mess than inserting it improperly. While each cup as a "stem" at the bottom, it is not the very best concept to use it by itself for removal. The cup needs to be squeezed simply above the stem and pulled out.
Correct Maintenance: Because the menstrual cup is multiple-use, it must be taken care of effectively. If you overlook appropriate maintenance of your cup, it can present bacteria or other germs into the vaginal area the next time you utilize it. Or if it is not looked after appropriately, it will not last as long as it should. After each cycle, you need to sanitize it by utilizing boiling water or a cleanser produced the material, like services used for infant bottle nipples.
Have More Questions?